It Takes Two to Talk
The Hanen Program® for Parents of Children with Language Delays
The It Takes Two to Talk® Program is designed specifically for parents of young children who have been identified as having a language delay.
In a small, personalized group setting, parents learn practical strategies to help their children learn language naturally throughout their day together.
The program is suitable for children from birth to five years of age.
The It Takes Two to Talk Program teaches you, step-by-step, how to become your child’s most important language teacher. The program shows you how to:
- Recognize your child’s stage and style of communication so that, together with the speech-language pathologist, you can identify next steps and goals
- Identify what motivates your child to communicate
- Use the strategy “Follow the Child’s Lead” to build their confidence and encourage them to communicate with you
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns back and forth in interactions
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Talk to your child in ways that help them understand language and then use it when they’re ready
- Use the strategies when you play and read books with your child to help them interact and learn language
This program is suitable for parents of young children (birth to 5 years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay.
- An obligation-free orientation session held online. During that session, you will get a chance to learn more about the It Takes Two to Talk® Program, ask any questions and meet the other parents interested in the program.
- 1 pre-program consultation for you and your child with your speech-language pathologist: 1 hour
- 8 training sessions in small, personalized groups: : 2.5 hours per session
- Three individual visits for you and your child with your speech-language pathologist in which you are videotaped while practicing with your child. Then you and your speech-language pathologist watch the videotaped interaction to “see” what’s helping and what you can modify to help even more: 1 hour per session
Pre-program consultations can be scheduled from Monday 3rd April onwards.
- Attendance at an orientation session is a requirement to register in the full It Takes Two to Talk program.
- Please note that if you are not able to attend the free orientation session you will need to attend an individual orientation meeting which may incur a 1:1 session fee.